Amidst all of the chaos going on around here with construction, jobs, errands and projects, I would always joke with Jimmy and say, "At least I'm not pregnant." For me, that would have been the straw the broke the camel's back. The ONE thing that I couldn't possibly deal with because we had so much else going on.
On Friday, March 8th, I took a HPT because quite honestly, I couldn't remember exactly when my cycle was supposed to start. I knew that it was supposed to have been some time that week, but that's all I knew.
Immediately, I saw a line. It was faint, but definitely there. I thought, "Here we go again. Same situation as what happened in September."
I got ready for work, and went by the CVS to get a digital. I just needed a clear "no" again.
I sent Jimmy this text, jokingly.
I went downstairs to the ladies room and took the test. Before I could even open the door, the result was there.
To describe my feelings at that moment would be impossible. I was panicked, but I wasn't. It was all so much to take in. I had done this twice before, so I could do it again, right? The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I couldn't. There was just NO way I could add this to my plate.
I texted Jimmy the same picture and his response was, "What?!!...yay?"
I thought to myself, "No. Not yay." I hit reply. "I can't do this."
I took the rest of the day off. Jimmy happened to be home that day so when I walked in the door, I just stared at him. I felt so numb. We talked about it that afternoon and evening. I cried. He was in shock, but excited, just like last time. The only difference between then and now was that I knew I was pregnant. All of the symptoms were there. There was no denying that digital test.
The next day was Hollin's first haircut. I was so dizzy I could barely stand up, but I was determined to have a good day!
___________________________________
The week went on and my feelings about the pregnancy were still the same. I reached out to a few friends to let them know I was expecting. Their first question was always, "How are you?" I was always honest. "I'm not doing so well. I'm having a hard time accepting this. Please pray for me." They were all so supportive and didn't judge me for feeling the way I did. They encouraged me as much as they could and assured me that I would get excited.
Being honest with Jimmy was hard because he was so excited. It hurt him to watch me react this way. I stayed bottled up for days because I felt like I couldn't be honest with him. This hadn't happened much at all in our marriage, but we were on two totally different wavelengths.
Finally on Wednesday, I came clean to my mom and dad. I was starting to not feel well and the exhaustion was kicking in. My mom knew it wasn't like me to go to bed at 8:30pm.
When I told them what was going on, they were both so excited. For the first time since I had found out, I felt something inside of me change. I was actually a little excited too. There was something about getting it off my chest that felt so good, and the kind words and encouragement from my parents made me feel like a new person.
My attitude at work on Thursday was totally different. I started writing down some names that Jimmy and I both really liked. He and the babies met me for lunch and I felt so good. No headache, no exhaustion, no nausea and full of energy. Maybe this one would be a really easy pregnancy?! By my calculations, I was right around 6 weeks.
By Thursday night, I finally felt like everything was going to be ok. Chaotic? Absolutely, but we could manage. Jimmy and I were finally back to "us" again. We went to the grocery store and laughed on the way home about if it was a boy or girl. We decided that we would tell his parents on Easter Sunday. I was excited about coming up with a cute way to tell them about our little surprise. At home, Jimmy insisted that I take the "last pregnancy test of my life" since he missed the one I took at work. So, I obliged. This time, it took way longer to give me the result. But it finally did.
"Pregnant."
_______________________________________
Friday, when I woke up to get ready for work, something was wrong. I texted Jimmy and he said he would meet me at the OB office. Once again, I was strangely calm. My mom offered to drive me there, but I declined. There was no stopping this if it was really happening.
By the time I got back to a room with the Nurse Practitioner, my hormone levels were very low, but still there. I was examined and then it was over almost as quickly as it began. She was so kind. She went on to say, "Nearly 25% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage...." but she may as well have been talking to the wall. I had blood work done and was sent home with a note for work and pain meds.
I began driving myself home and the dam finally burst. All of the ups and downs came crashing down on me and I could barely breathe. This was Harper and Hollin's baby brother or sister. My due date would have been around November 11th. I had already envisioned a very sweet Thanksgiving this year with my family of five.
It all finally made sense. I had felt so much better the day before, almost as if I was "normal." The test had taken so much longer to give me the positive result the last time. My hormone levels had probably started dropping on Thursday.
We are both very sad that this happened, but are leaning on God to help us deal with all of it. I'm so thankful that Jimmy and I can go through this together, although it has been very difficult on us for different reasons.
Yes, I have been dealing with guilt over my initial reaction to the pregnancy. I feel so badly that I wasn't excited and accepting immediately when I know there are so many who want and pray for a child so badly.
We are not sure what the future holds for us as far as another baby. We've both had very different reactions to this situation all along. Only time will tell. I thought for so long that we were done, but going through this forced me to consider life with three little ones. I do know that it would not be anytime soon.
Thank you for allowing me to share this part of our story with you.
Love,










Oh no sweetie.. I am so so so sorry for the loss of your precious little baby. <3
ReplyDeleteThank you Charity :)
DeleteI'm so sorry to hear about this! Big unexpected changes can be difficult to swallow and you should NOT fell guilty about your initial feelings. My prayers are with you for peace and whatever understanding you can have and so thankful that your marriage is strong through something difficult like this!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for the encouragement :)
Deletemy heart is breaking for you...just breaking..Sorry momma
ReplyDeleteThanks Jen :)
DeletePraying for you!!! My heart breaks for you, don't feel bad for your intial reaction!!!
ReplyDeleteoh Ashlynn. I am so very sorry to hear about this. Just because you were scared/stressed/worried at first does not make this loss any less heartbreaking, and I would honestly have a very similar reaction if a surprise "pregnant" popped up on a test for me right now, too. It's okay to not be immediately thrilled. It doesn't make you a bad person, just human.
ReplyDeleteThanks Kaylene :) You're so sweet.
DeleteI love you!
ReplyDeleteLove you too!!
DeleteI'm so sorry-I can't imagine the range emotions you have been through! We are done having babies, and last September/October when Grant was only 7 months old, we were a week late. We had a very faint positive and I was devastated. But at the same time, there was a tiny (TINY) bit of excitement, too. Honestly, there was mainly fear and sadness because we could not have handled another so soon (or at all!). Anyways, I did start my "period" a few more days later-I'm pretty sure it was a chemical pregnancy. I was SO relieved, and a bit guilty too. I think your reaction is pretty normal-but even so, it doesn't make it hurt any less. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteThanks Maria. I hope you and your beautiful family are doing well :)
DeleteHi Ashlyn,
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear this happened to you.
I appreciate your honesty. I've had a couple of "pregnancy scares" and I have felt so guilty afterwards for not being ecstatic about the possibility of being pregnant. The guilt still lingers with me to this day. I also have two little ones and many days I am exhausted by bedtime. Adding a third is an overwhelming thought at times. You're an amazing mom and wife, and your family is lucky to have you.
Antoinette
I feel terrible that I somehow missed all of this! I always read your blog, but I missed this one. I am so, so sorry. Your initial reaction is completely understandable...you shouldn't feel guilty at all. Even amidst the freak-out and fear, you were still the same mommy who would love that baby no matter the timing or the huge surprise of it all. I have no words of comfort because there really are none in times like these other than to say...what a blessed little one to have known you as a mommy, even for a short time. I don't know if you've read Heaven is For Real, but if you haven't...do. <3 If you have, I'm sure it brings all new meaning to your life and your future. Sending love and hugs to you (2 months too late...)
ReplyDeleteHey girlie..I don't know if u remember me, we went to school together. I'm sorry to hear about ur loss, I know I'm late on it but trust me I know how it feels..I've had two miscarriages and one ectopic pregnancy. To this day I have no children. Honestly, the ectopic hurt the most because I didn't even know I was pregnant with the first 2. But the last one I knew,I had a car seat bed and was very excited.God has a plan for everyone so all we can do is lean on him. I always knew you would go far, so just keep keeping on
ReplyDelete